Tuesday 9 October 2012

Pumpkin Soup

Every now and again I like to turn my hand to a bit of cooking. On the odd occasion it may go horribly wrong. But more often than not I'm quite proud of the end result.
As it's October and Pumpkins are ripe in season i decided it was time to try a pumpkin soup (I've never had pumpkin before, only carved silly faces in them).
If I may say so myself my soup was the best, It tasted gorgeous, had the perfect texture and looked the part too. The only thing I will say if I ever try this again is that I will be getting someone else to cut up my pumpkin. It took me far too long and my hands ended up red raw from chopping. Maybe I should invest in some decent knives.




If you would like to try this here's what you will need:




  •  1 Pumpkin
  •  2 Onions
  •  2 Cloves of garlic
  •  150ml Double cream
  •  700ml Chicken stock cubes (or vegetable for a vegetarian friendly version)
  •  2 tbsp Olive oil
  •  Salt and Pepper to season

And here's what to do:

  • Prep your pumpkin and dice into cubes and rinse for later.
  • Finely chop your onions and crush the garlic. Add both to the olive oil in the pan and simmer gently for 5 minutes until the onion is soft.
  • Add the pumpkin cubes and continue to simmer for 10 minutes until the pumpkin is slightly soft and yellowish.

  • Add the chicken stock and seasoning and bring to the boil. Then simmer for another 10 minutes until the pumpkin is very soft.
  • Add the double cream and bring to the boil.
  • Using a hand blender, blend together until you are happy with the consistency.


 I liked it with a few lumpy bits but if you don't you could always push it through a sieve to make it smoother.


  • Hey presto serve with thick bread or add some croutons to it. I roasted the pumpkin seeds for 45 minutes and added them.

 I did a separate pan for Calleigh without adding any additional seasoning. I froze some pots (these will last for 2 months) so Calleigh can enjoy it whenever. She's having her first taste for dinner today so I will let you know how it goes.



3 comments :

  1. This looks healthy and hardy. I love home made soup. Thanks for sharing and I am following you now.
    I would love for you to follow back.
    Jillian
    http://puzzlemecomplete.blogspot.com/2012/10/thankful-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks yummy! I'll definitely be giving it a whirl :) x

    ReplyDelete